Thursday, January 10, 2008

SelfStudy - ""Seven Words to Change Your Family."

Hey Team:

This Sunday we will conclude our study on ""Seven Words to Change Your Family." I am continuing to think about and process our last lesson on "Commitment." I want to make sure that I am not like the multitudes who were just "going along" (Luke 14:25) with Jesus. Instead, I want my commitment to Him to be my first and most important priority -- even above family. As we discussed, this is necessary if I hope to be the kind of husband, father, and friend that He wants me to be.

I thought Dr. Gardner's sermon ("Ships That Didn't Sail") was the perfect capstone to our study on commitment. So often as we make commitments our "ships don't sail." Perhaps it is because we never really intended them to sail, or because we procrastinate and are content with the status quo, or perhaps because the enemy destroy our ships.

Whatever the reason, Dr. Gardner reminded us that we need to (1) Remember who we are (sinners saved by God's grace); (2) Recharge our batteries by regularly assembling with other believers; (3) Head for deeper waters (i.e. take more risks); and (4) Don't wait! ("some day" and "one of these days" will eventually disappear from our vocabulary).

Please continue to pray for Dr. Gardner, our staff and our pastor search committee.

Please also continue to pray for Dr. Travis and Sue, and remember the reception to be held in their honor this Sunday from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the church.

Press on...


Andrew

No comments: