Thursday, February 14, 2008

Self Study List - Security Alert: Storm Worm Links in Valentine E-Cards

Being Valentine's day, and everyone emailing loved ones, I thought this might be of importance for our group..

As I am a network admin for the state, I have been notified of a FBI warning of the Storm Worm Virus links in Valentine's Day e-cards. February always shows an increase in the malicious emails received with Valentine's subjects, Tax Refund and Tax Rebate subjects from the "IRS" and other topics of the season. We have already been seeing 'IRS' emails. The Storm Worm has been around for a little over a year now, and the estimates of computers continued to be infected with this Trojan are perhaps nearing 1 million. This is not one of the many "Hoaxes" that scare people into forwarding to their friends.

'Storm' requires the user to do something they shouldn't in an email they received from someone they usually don't know. Most of the time the user will be asked to click a link in an email to receive a special card, or start a download, or click to visit a malicious web site.

Note that many of the same Subject Lines and techniques are expected to be similar to the 2007 flood of emails. If you receive any of these delete them immediately!

The emails are short and to the point, containing a brief message, followed by a URL. Should the user click on the URL, they will be directed to a site that looks like this:

The subjects and bodies we have seen so far include the following (many are recycled from the Storm worm's 2007 Valentine's Day campaign):



• A Dream is a Wish
• A Is For Attitude
• A Kiss So Gentle
• A Rose
• A Rose for My Love
• A Toast My Love
• Come Dance with Me
• Come Relax with Me
• Dream of You
• Eternal Love
• Eternity of Your Love
• Falling In Love with You
• For You....My Love
• Heavenly Love
• Hugging My Pillow
• I Love You Because
• I Love You Soo Much
• I Love You with All I Am
• I Would Dream
• If Loving You
• In Your Arms
• Inside My Heart
• Love Remains
• Memories of YouA Token of My Love
• Miracle of Love
• Our Love is Free
• Our Love Nest
• Our Love Will Last
• Pages from My Heart
• Path We Share
• Sending You All My Love
• Sending You My Love
• Sent with Love
• Special Romance
• Surrounded by Love
• The Dance of Love
• The Mood for Love
• The Time for Love
• When Love Comes Knocking
• When You Fall in Love
• Why I Love You
• Words in my Heart
• Wrapped in Your Arms
• You... In My Dreams
• Your Friend and Lover
• Your Love Has Opened
• You're my DreamAttachment Name:
• withlove.exe
• with_love.exe

Wishing all the best this February 14th!
Randy Sigler

No comments: